Autor Thema: Milan and magicnet.  (Gelesen 1997 mal)

guest1302

• Gast
Milan and magicnet.
« am: Do 23.10.2008, 12:08:00 »
Hello,
Sorry, I write this in English, because the knowledge of my German language is almost nihil. I posted this also on atari-forum.com.

This is a small description of my network installation issues I got on my milan.
I hope that someone can use this info. Or if he/she succeed where I failed, then he/she may complete this document.

On my milan040 with Magic 6.2, I installed magxnet (magicnet), and I got the following results :

Tested cards :

1. ISA RTL 8019
I installed the ENEM.MIF driver with  SOCKET.DEV from magicnet in GEMSYS\MAGIC\XTENSION folder. I got ENEM.MIF from ‘etherne.zip’ from Thomas Redelberger.

System hangs, until I removed the slip.mif file out of the xtension folder.

So slip.mif and enem.mif are not compatible.

2. PCI RTL 8029 and PCI RTL 8139
I downloaded the ne2kmpci.xif driver from AssemSoft - Odd Skancke. I renamed it to *.mif, and placed them in the xtension folder.
The milan wouldn’t boot properly.

3. PCI RTL 8139
I downloaded the RTL8139.XIF driver from AssemSoft - Odd Skancke. I renamed it to *.mif, and placed them in the xtension folder. 
The milan wouldn’t boot properly.
I’ve done this because the 8139 card is an 100 MBit card, and some people reported that magicnet is compatible with mintnet in such a way that you can simply the drivers from *.xif to *.mif.

This didn’t work for me.

Tested programs :

PING
With an installed magicnet, I can ping easily inside, and outside my network, also to dns servers was no problem. (ping http://www.google.com)

CAB 2.7
First I tried with the cab.ovl file delivered with the magicnet package.
I couldn’t get Cab2.7  to work. Network was not reachable.

Solution :
I Installed gluestik from magicnet in the \GEMSYS\MAGIC\START\ folder, with the correct
\STIK_CFG\ DEFAULT.CFG file. For that I copied the DEFAULT.CFG from my sting setup.

Then I used the “Olivier Booklage” Cab.ovl.

I can surf now. After a while of inactivity and with cab running, the computer will hangs.
I need to invest this better.

BNET
I can say it short : I installed before bnet on a falcon with mintnet and a falcon with magicnet.
I could transfer large files over the network. (files > 5Mb). The falcon with mintnet is now out of service. (Transfo from external HD is gone).

I’ve also a TT030 with bnet on sting.
So I installed bnet on milan. Didn’t work. I got some writing error. Need to invests this further.

Mark