Autor Thema: Want to buy  (Gelesen 3241 mal)

guest2213

• Gast
Want to buy
« am: Mi 20.08.2008, 21:45:31 »
Hallo,

I´m sorry if by any reason it is against the forum rules to use another language. My German is not good enough to understand everything  :)

I´m looking to buy either of these computers:

Atari MegaSTe

Atari Falcon030

Atari TT

i have STfm and STe computers already, but would like to try one of the more advanced machines Atari made... :)

Vielle Dank (hope it´s correct)

Offline matashen

• Benutzer
Re: Want to buy
« Antwort #1 am: Mi 20.08.2008, 22:29:24 »
its not forbidden to write in german, its  a german one so that language is writen mostly.

Post in english - its not problem

Greatings Matthias
Have you played Atari today ?!

Shockwav3

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: Mi 20.08.2008, 23:13:11 »
Differences between a 1040STE and Mega STE are quite insignificant tho. The machine just had an additional (quite bad) SCSI Controller, a 16MHz mode, which destroys compatibility with some older software and if you're lucky the ability to read 1.44MB Floppies.
All 3 which can be achieved with a normal 1040STE with some minor modifications.

About the Falcon and TT ... those are really nice machines which barely have anything in common with the "keyboard type" machines. I do have 2 Falcons, but those are gonna stay mine :)

Either way, good luck.

guest2213

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: Do 21.08.2008, 01:05:24 »
Differences between a 1040STE and Mega STE are quite insignificant tho. The machine just had an additional (quite bad) SCSI Controller, a 16MHz mode, which destroys compatibility with some older software and if you're lucky the ability to read 1.44MB Floppies.
All 3 which can be achieved with a normal 1040STE with some minor modifications.

About the Falcon and TT ... those are really nice machines which barely have anything in common with the "keyboard type" machines. I do have 2 Falcons, but those are gonna stay mine :)

Either way, good luck.

Yes, i know the differences between the STe and the MegaSTe.

My reasoning, though, is that:

a) i get ANOTHER normal STe and then perform 16mhz change, TOS upgrade to 2.06, 1.44MB floppy, etc which all together would mean searching, buying materials and performing the changes

b) i try to get a MegaSTe and have all the features, plus the cool case... ;)

Also, as far as i know, only the very early MegaSTes came with 720k floppy, TOS 2.05 and fixed 16mhz clock. after that all came with 1.44mb floppy, TOS 2.06 and switchable 8/16mhz clock (correct me if i´m wrong).

The TT and/or Falcon would be NICE things to have, but i they are not things i NEED to have, if you can tell the difference... ;D

As far as it goes, seems a logical time to buy now.

These machines have lived their usefulness in the computer world for even the die hard fan, except for people like us who use them because we want and enjoy using them.

with the recent drop in prices of computers (last couple of years or so), there are not many reasons to keep working on an old machine when a 150€ computer can do a better job.

The "normal" STfm and STe are relatively common and sell nice second hand for people who want to relive the 80´s and 90´s games.

But the Falcon and TT were almost dedicated to work and have very limited usefulness for games or anyone going "retro".

I believe that it might be possible to buy, not very expensively (hope so)...

Anyone has one to sell?  ;)

Shockwav3

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: Do 21.08.2008, 02:00:25 »
Just keep checking your local newspapers and retro computer forums. I just got a MegaSTE (with 1.44MB support and switchable 16MHz) for free 2 weeks ago.

About the usefulness of those comps ... sure they are "crap" compared to modern pcs ... powerwise. But Falcons are still used in a lot of recording studios or sought after by collectors. I sold one of mine 6 months ago (as I had 3 of them) and got 380€ for it on eBay. But then again ... the other 2 I have I got for 20€ and 60€. It's pretty uncertain to get them for those prices on eBay or forums like this tho :/

Either way ... good luck :) The Falcon and TT are definitely very nice machines, with which one can still have loads of fun.
« Letzte Änderung: Do 21.08.2008, 02:02:48 von Shockwav3 »

guest2213

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: Do 21.08.2008, 10:35:13 »
Just keep checking your local newspapers and retro computer forums. I just got a MegaSTE (with 1.44MB support and switchable 16MHz) for free 2 weeks ago.

About the usefulness of those comps ... sure they are "crap" compared to modern pcs ... powerwise. But Falcons are still used in a lot of recording studios or sought after by collectors. I sold one of mine 6 months ago (as I had 3 of them) and got 380€ for it on eBay. But then again ... the other 2 I have I got for 20€ and 60€. It's pretty uncertain to get them for those prices on eBay or forums like this tho :/

Either way ... good luck :) The Falcon and TT are definitely very nice machines, with which one can still have loads of fun.

Right, this is where living in Portugal or Germany REALLY makes a difference...

When i was young (too many years ago ;D), i was practically the only person in my city with an Atari!

And this was in the time when Atari was really popular! on the early 90s when the later machines were launched, almost no one in Portugal bought them (none that i know)

I still get funny looks from people when they see my Jaguar, for example... :P

In the UK, France, Germany and other countries it is relatively easy to get the computers for free or almost free.

I´ve been 4 times to germany to attend CeBiT, but never had the time to search for Ataris since they were business trips...  :-[

if anyone here knows of someone else that wants to dispose of the machine, let me know... i have a nice home for it  ;)