Angeh„ngt: README_G.TXT, TEREP97.LEA (05.09.08) & TEREP95.LEA (15.04.08) ___________________________________________________________________________ . 01.07.16: 4.03 ersetzt durch 4.06; letzte Version? Leider scheint von den unten aufgefhrten Beschwerden nix geheilt zu sein. 19.02.14: Der TD-Viewer hat einen kleinen Redraw-Fehler. 08.05.12: 8ung: In der Multi-Version 4.03 fehlen nach wie vor die Icons der Ordner- ===== Links. Verblffenderweise gibt es die jedoch in der Single-Version; zum Ausgleich fehlen der aber unter SoloMiNT die Link-H„kchen; sie ist aužerdem fallschtig! (FATAL ERROR...) 07.05.12: 8ung: Damit TD auf dem TT mit 1p l„uft, darf ICON.RSC kein einziges ===== Color-Icon enthalten! 04.05.12: 8ung: Kap.9/Konfigurationsdateien des ~.HYP beschreibt die Such-Strategie ===== fr's .INF; funzt schlecht: Weil das akt.Dir meistens TERADESK\ ist, wird ein INF auf der BootRoot dann nur gefunden, wenn TERADESK\ frei davon ist (was man nicht will, damit TD auch direkt starten kann). Abhilfe?: TeraRun.ACC findet das TeraDesk.INF in GENEVA\AX\! 8ung: Wo ist die ebenfalls dort beschriebene Funktion 'Links verfolgen'? ===== Blož im PopUp. 03.05.12: 8ung: TD strzt manchmal (aber nicht immer) mit Busfehler ab beim Nachladen ===== von TeraDesk.INF ber Optionen/Einstellungen_laden... 02.11.11: 8ung: Žndert man Icon-Namen in der (C)ICONS.RSC, beschwert sich TeraDesk ===== ber fehlende Icons - sagt aber nicht, welche fehlen - und gibt auch keine Korrektur-M”glichkeit... Man muž sich also tunlichst alle Žnderungen merken und sodann alle Icon-Zuweisungen durchfl”hen - oder aber (verbotenerweise) TERADESK.INF editieren... 09.01.10: 8ung: Das Menue 'Datei/Info...' besser nicht benutzen fr Ordner mit vielen ===== Dateien: Nudelt sonst ewig lange!! Abhilfe: Kobold kann's ganz fix! ------- Tera Desktop V1.41 Copyright 1991-1995 W. Klaren. V2.1 Copyright 2002 H. Robbers. V2.3 to 4.06 Copyright 2003-2014 H. Robbers, Dj. Vukovic ------- There also exists a source distribution which contains the complete source tree of TeraDesk, to be compiled and linked with Pure-C 1.1; it is located at the web homepage of TeraDesk 3: http://solair.eunet.yu/~vdjole/teradesk.htm Source of the AHCM memory-allocation system that is used in TeraDesk can be downloaded from: http://members.ams.chello.nl/h.robbers/ahcm.zip For the time being, comments should be sent to: vdjole@EUnet.yu If you intend to use TeraDesk, it will be appreciated if you send an e-mail to the above address; I may at some time ask a question or two about TeraDesk's behaviour. Djordje Vukovic Beograd; August 14th 2008 ======= ReadMe.TXT, 511B.: ======= TERA406G.ZIP: -DESKTOP.RSC -TERADESK.HYP -TERADESK.REF Deutsche Resource-Datei und Hypertext fr TERADESK 4.06 (http://solair.eunet.rs/~vdjole/teradesk.htm). Einfach die Originaldatei DESKTOP.RSC in .RSX umbenennen und die deutsche Datei in den Programmordner kopieren. TERADESK.HYP und TERADESK.REF in den Hypertext-Ordner (C:\Guides) kopieren. Made by latzmaster. Getestet mit Atari Falcon/CT60/CTPCI; TOS 4.04+NVDI; MiNT 1.18+XaAES. Benutzung auf eigene Gefahr!! latzmaster@gmx.de ======= TEREP97.LEA ======= To Djordje Vukovic, Beograd vdjole@EUnet.yu Subject: Report on TeraDesk 3.94..3.97 Hi Djordje, I tried already two times to send you an email to the given address, but first time it came back with the message from my provider attached, that it was refused by the receiver as being considered spam, and second time not even that happened, but nothing. As there is not any echo yet but in the recently from internet downloaded version 3.97 of TeraDesk I spotted the same goblins as before, I think this one was lost also. So, by now I am doing the third try. I will attach the former letter also (as most of the points I made don't seem to be outdated yet), but also I will give some supplement here, and further I will attach some ScreenShots too. Let me first describe my system: Atari Falcon 14MB_ST-RAM 26MHz ScreenBlasterIII_inside, 7 part. bootable with different systems (TOS_4.04, MAGIC_6.20, GenevaDemo_6, MiNT_1.15.6, N.AES_1.1+Gemini_1.999e, MultiTOS_4.1ž) and lots of additives (NVDI...). Usually I ride TeraDesk on SoloMiNT/SingleTOS or upon Geneva (eventually without MiNT (all MiNT versions I tried, from 1.14.2 to 1.15.12, Geneva6 hangs up after running some minutes, independent of TeraDesk)). Now some more reports: Sometimes the mouse cursor gets lost. Details I can't tell yet, but seems to be a weakness of TeraDesk rather than a third party program. Clicking on an iconified window with the right mouse button doesn't work; needs double clicking with the left one. TeraDesk doesn't want to start under MiNT_1.16.1ž/AES_4.1ž, hangs & no warm reset possible - with MiNT_1.15.6 or 1.15.12 ok. README says, setting linx with the menue File/New... is possible under MiNT or MAGIC; with MAGIC_6 it works, with plain MiNT it doesn't: The menue is painted black, but clicked upon nothing happens. It took me quite some time to find out it needs NEWFATS for working (so at least MiNT version 1.15.1). But then it's nice to see that links set under MAGIC also work under MiNT. There are some links not preserving their destination icon under TeraDesk -- what is wrong? There is a subtle redraw-bug in TeraDesk concerning icons located in ICONS.RSC (in CICONS.RSC ok) which have extra 'selected' images: Once such an icon is selected, it can't be deselected properly anymore; the fault appears, where the norm pic is transparent but the selected isn't. This was popping out first when I tried to make such a blackandwhite icon (for this it has to be declared color icon, but only has one color plane for each state), but with real color icons having extra sel. state it's equal. At first I thought this to be a bug in the AES of MultiTOS, but I checked that with the original desktop this bug is absent; however, it is present while running TeraDesk under Geneva or MAGIC. (With the rules MultiTOS &c. is finding its icon resource, this check must be done very carefully). I'd suggest to use the same redraw procedure for ICONS.RSC as is already used for CICONS.RSC (will probably also save some bytes in the code ;-). There is another little redraw fault with effect, that the Desktop isn't redrawn completely when necessary (was showing up, when TeraDesk started under MultiTOS). On the other hand, there are some window-redraws multiple done unnecessarily. In the 'Edit Icons' dialogue the scrollbar doesn't function properly iff used clicking in the dark area (upwards too much, downwards too less). ScreenShot T71G4EG4.IMG demonstrates the formerly reported troubles with icons attached to folders in u:\. Also you can spot the gaps between the desktop's icons and the rite & butt screen borders. The scrollbar in T's icons-dialog is the one reported functioning wrong. Evidence is given of usefulness of onecolored & twocolored 1p-icons. The shot was taken using Geneva6+MiNT_1.14.2 & ScreenBlaster at 1024x768x4 res. Have a glimpse at the right window bars also: too narrow! This appearing in the combination Geneva+ScreenBlaster+TeraDesk only - replacing either of the three components (ie. ScreenBlaster by BlowUp, Geneva by SoloMiNT or TeraDesk by Thing &c.) makes the effect vanishing to normal. ScreenShot T72M8XG4.IMG demonstrates the formerly reported troubles with icon rules: Left window is showing two linx, but both their icons aren't correct, especially the SNAPS.ACC should show the same icon as other ax, and right window shows equivalently that INV_ICN.RSC's icon is mistaken, as explained in the text. The shot was taken using MiNT_1.15.6 +MultiAES & ScreenBlaster at 800x608x8 res. Again, the distance of the bottomed ix to screen's bottom border is too big. Notice, that window frames are correct. Have a nice time & lots of fun with your Atavari, and thank you very much again for doing the job! Will this letter arrive? Sincerely Yours Rolf, KA.RS@web.de ======= TEREP97.LEA ======= Hi Djordje, recently I came across your version 3.95 of TeraDesk. So, before starting anything else, at first let me express my adoring for your work! Thanx alot for that glorious undertaking! As it appears very unlikely that you know me (only few in the atari sceene, with very good memory, might remember me having four little articles in the zines & a bunch of software on ftp), let me tell a little bit. It was in spring 1997 when I asked Wout Klaren iff there were a new version of his TeraDesk. I was very lucky (so I was told by a friend afterwards) he gave me the honor to send version 1.42 to me. As there were no restrictions by Wout, I passed it over to that friend also, and so, may be, it spread around the world. In combination with Geneva6, then I happily enjoyed seeing my MegaST4 doing multitasking; in comparison to early MultiTOS this combi not only was rather stable (yet not perfect) but also was very slim (what tasks can you multi, if there is no memory left ;-). Although I don't use it for daily work but for testing only, it's still running on my Falcon in res 1024:768:4; right now, I use it to write this text with my favorite antique TDI text editor. Worx without probs. With MultiTasking, versions 1.42 and 3.95 can run parallel. So I can easily switch and compare. Feeling & speed are still preserved. The new version eats up about 284kB (with my own 70 c2icons) compared to 182kB (with WK's 35 c2icons); in consideration of all the improvements you did, that's ok: still very slim compared against other desktops. However, it took me whole a day to do the setup of my own icons, & changing rules is akward. In GEM's NEWDESK.INF it's much easier, doing it the lazy way with a text editor for defining the followups. Also, there seems to be a subtle bug: with rule *LIB* both WINLIB & GEM.LIB got the right icon, but LINKER.LIB didn't! With *LIB, all three got it (but of course, not LIB1, as intended with *LIB*); & again, with rules *IC*N*.RS* and *.RSC all INVERT_.RSC, CICONS.RS0, ICONS.RSC & MEN_ICN.RSC get the rite icons, but MIN_ICN.RSC & INV_ICN.RSC do not! Then, under MiNT, I got quite some surprise when looking into u:\ - none of the links preserved the icon of its destination... No DRIVE, no FOLDER, not the first icon (as the HYPe says?), but the last one of the RSC is assigned. I tried to change this, but didn't succeed. It's nice to have the right mouse button instead of doing the double click with the left one (however the delay could be less). It's not so nice that dragging from back windows doesn't seem to function anymore (in MagxDesk it's done with the left mb. when the rite one simulates doubleclix). I can't do c-coding (was doing MODULA ten years ago), but may be I can help a little bit with testing. May I make some humble suggestions? I realized, that even in monochrome video mode the CICONS.RSC is used iff present; I'd suggest a fork to ICONS.RSC; then, there is no need to use true coloricons (with build-in monos) but, as I did it, 2-colored icons can be used as cicons (less mem eaten up!). In showing how 2c-icons can be used to have a very colorful desktop, Gemini is a model. Due to aesthetics, but even much more due to semiotic demands, i'm not fond of to much color in icons (for designing a traffic sign, you won't just hook up a foto, do you?). There are some more little queers with desktop icons. With no label text, (yes, sometimes I don't want that), the icon's letter does a strange move downwards (2c-icons only); as this appears under Geneva as well as under GEM-AES, might be a little bug in TeraDesk. Further, the placing of icons isn't optimal: the right and lower screen borders are orphanized (was better in 1.42); the distance to lower border should be about 10 pix (as fi. in rez 800:608 (demanded by GEM) there are 8 lost as LCD monitors emulate only 800:600) but is much more; equivalently the distance of the utmost right ics to the right border is much too big (in fact, 0 would do). At top border, a 2 pix offset would be nice. Finally I'd recommand the minimum magnetic grip for the icons to be no more than dx:dy=72:42, so more icons can be set up (horiz. even 70 might do? (tolerating a bit overlap?)), and the surplus to be distributed. Perhaps this are suitable formulas: Nx:=xRez//72; dx:=xRez//Nx; Ny:=(yRez-12)//42; dy:=(yRez-12)//Ny where xRez:yRez is the inner size of the desktops background window; then, right distance is less than Nx and lower distance is less than Ny+10, and 14x18 icons instead of 12x16 result with rez 1024:768. So, at the moment this seems to be all I can contribute. Have a nice time & lots of fun with your Atavari, and thank you very much again for doing the job! Sincerely Yours Rolf, KA.RS@web.de